Monday, May 2, 2011

History in the making! (huge post)

  Since this is a "digital scrapbook" in a sense, I think it is important that I summarize the events of this substantial week so when Connor looks back on this, he will realize what happened when he was 6! Last night, Drew and I were watching the Real Houswives of Orange County and I saw on my phone that Obama would be speaking at 10:30 p.m. - this kind of alarmed me at first when thinking about what all has been going on in our world lately. However, after flipping over to Fox news, we soon realized (before Obama spoke) that Osama Bin Laden had been killed by U.S. Forces. It will be hard to convey to Connor just how important this feat was as he will read about it in a history textbook one day just as we all read about previous attacks on the United States. But we all felt the fear and sadness of those attacks and know how absolutely peaceful it is to know that one more monster is no longer living and able to plot against innocent people. Watching the news coverage about all of this is surreal. These are pictures of the celebrations going on in front of the White House and Ground Zero...



I am so thankful for men and women who sacrifice so much, even their own lives, to protect us!
If you are my facebook friend, I am sure you saw my series of status updates stating the following:

"Osama bin Laden is Dead?!?!!? Finally!!!"

"definitely felt more 'safe' during Big Daddy W's speeches, they were more reassuring"

"‎We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." - President George W. Bush, September 20, 2001

GOD BLESS AMERICA! 

On a different and lighter note, I have a confession: I have been absolutely obsessed with the Royal Wedding and events leading up to it for the past few months. There is so much information on the news, blogs, websites, etc. about the magnificent day but I do want to share some of my favorite images with you all courtesy of people.com


First, the fascinators, I wish this could be the "norm" for American women! How fun would it be to wear one of these hats on Easter or to weddings?!








And now some of my favorite pictures of the couple and the day...


The Queen looks bright in yellow, a great color choice for the day!





How beautiful are the Middleton sisters?! The dress that Kate was wearing is now infamous, but I think we can say the same for Pippa!



As Jill and I were recapping all of our thoughts quickly on Friday before I had to go into work, we both agreed that it was comforting to know that an estimated 3 billion people watched this wedding and heard so many references to God during the ceremony. The whole thing was perfection! Hopefully the media will not badger Kate as they did Diana and the couple will live happily ever after! 

Last but certainly not least, the storms that blew through the South this past week devastated certain communities such as Tuscaloosa. People were killed, lost everything they own, and will have to completely rebuild their lives. Lets remember to keep all of the storm victims who were affected in any way in our prayers. 


Hope you all have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment