Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

My Mom's friend Debbie sent me this recipe in an email on Sunday afternoon after I asked her for it, because Mom and Dad were saying she made it on NYE and that it was really good. She sent it to me, and I picked up the ingredients at Publix after school today and made it while I was on the phone with Jill. It turned out really good! Drew had to work late, so hopefully he will be happy to come home to a hot bowl of soup when he does get in from work since it is so nasty and rainy outside. Today was my first day of classes, and it was a good day. Connor fell asleep on the couch around 4:30 this afternoon, and I can't get him to wake up...this should make for an interesting bedtime tonight! Anyway, here is the recipe...let me know if you try and it and if you like it!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
4 chicken breasts, cooked & chopped
2 family size cans cream of mushroom soup
1 jar roasted bell peppers, chopped
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 medium onion chopped
2 16 oz. jars mild salsa
sour cream
tortilla chips (we like fritos)

"In large pot saute onion and garlic in hot oil 5 minutes.  Add roasted bell peppers (I chopped them in my food processor), bay leaves, black pepper, mushroom soup and 2 cans of water (I use 1 can of broth from where I cooked the chicken and 1 can water).  Mix wel l.  Bring to a boil.  Add salsa and chicken  ( I also chopped chicken in the food processor too) .  Simmer on medium for 45 minutes.  Stir often.  Pour into bowls and add sour cream and tortilla chips.

1 comment:

  1. This is sooo good! I make something very similar to it and it is a family favorite! I just might have to make it again now. :)

    ReplyDelete